Friday, June 21, 2013

That Stupid Puppet

You know what crazy about acting?  You fall in love/hate/like/friendship and every other sort of emotion with people on stage in the course of an hour and forty-five minutes.

I think that's one of the reasons I really like acting.  I'm not a big "let's be emotionally bonded" type of person, but I can get little dollops of human connection while I'm acting, walking away from the whole experience safe and sound.  Want to hear something weird?  I fall in love with a stupid blonde puppet.  It is the most ridiculous looking thing in the world -- an inanimate object.  And I, also the extension of a puppet (though mine is brown and furry), fall head over heels for the thing.

For the course of the show, I barely look at the actor who has his hand up that puppet.  Eye contact is made with two googly eyes.  And yet, I am over the moon when he hands me a mixed CD, pissed off when I realize that "Fat-Bottomed Girls" was included on said CD, giddy about going on a date, jealous of the slutty puppet, ecstatic when he wants to be my boyfriend, and crushed when he breaks up with me.  IT'S A PUPPET.  (Does anyone else hold down the shift when writing in all caps, or does pretty much everyone hit the caps lock?  I always forget it's there.)  

But what does that say about the human mind?  To what level can we delude ourselves?  What is it that clicks on or off which allows a person to feel these feeling for a bit of fleece with hair?  And it can't just be me.  I mean, even if the other actors on stage aren't getting all mushy for my puppet, the audience is. Most of the audience members love the puppets.  And, let's be real now, EVERYONE loves the Muppets.  I read in the amazing book my amazing friend sent me about Avenue Q, and in a documentary about Elmo, that Muppet-esque puppets are so great because so many people can relate to them.  When they are funny colors and furry, no one is excluded.  When a puppet is green or blue or orange, it can be any race.  I think that is such a brilliantly simple concept.  Is that why it is so easy to connect to and relate with the puppets?  Are we seeing ourselves and others when we watch these shows?   

Another thing.  My mom, after seeing a photo of my puppet, told me that Kate Monster wasn't very attractive.  I think Kate is amazing and super cute.  In the aforementioned book, the creators of Avenue Q said that Kate Monster had body/self-image issues.  This was something I never associated with her character before, but like I said, I think Kate is great.  And here's a little quote from a local man's blog about her, "And who wouldn't fall in love with Fritsch's Kate, someone you want to wrap your arms around and keep from harm?"  I (usually) hate hugs.  Kate seems to need them. 

Acting is crazy.  Puppets are crazy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment