Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Harry Potter

Since we're talking about my obsessions...

I still love the Harry Potter books, and movies, but mostly books.  Currently, I am sporting my Gryffindor scarf and I listen to Jim Dale read me J. K. Rowling's words to lull me to sleep.  The obsession is real and that's fine.  Because of how much this glorious work of fiction has enriched my life, I've let a few things slide, especially as far as continuity goes.  I've let go of the fact that Ginny's eyes change color from the beginning to the end of the series, that Hagrid tells Harry that his dad was a Head Boy in book one, but then it is revealed that James was never even a Prefect in book five, and that at first it's just Neville's dad who is an Auror, but then it becomes both his parents' careers.  Whate'er.  Aint' no thing to me. Like I said, I've moved past these tiny details that really shouldn't bother me... (Mostly)

What I have NOT moved past is the distinct lack of grandparents throughout the entire series.  WHERE ARE THEY? (Insert frustrated hand waving)  It is obvious that wizards are perfectly capable of living past the age of 55... unless they procreate?  Think about it: None of the super old characters have kids and none of the characters over the age of 30 have parents.  Where are they?  The exception, of course, is Neville and his tenacious, hat wearing grandmother.  (Love her)  But, besides the two of them?  Nothing.  I understand that if Harry had grandparents on either side of his family there wouldn't be the whole Dursley situation, and that would be less interesting, but it seems hard to believe.  I may have been able to suspend my disbelief for Harry, but then it became a constant phenomenon.  WTF, J.K.?  Harry?  No grandparents.  Lupin?  No parents.  Sirius?  No parents, just an annoying portrait.  Tonks? Well, she hadn't turned 30 yet, so she started with both parents.  Malfoys?  Nothing is ever mentioned.  The Weasleys?  An unmarried, great-Auntie Muriel who has made it to be 107 years old, but no grandparents.  And it seems unlikely that Hermione would fail to mention her Grandma and Grandpa if she had any.  She's just not the type.

I guess I should be happy that Ms. Rowling gave up this trend for the Epilogue of book seven, making a reference to "Granddad Weasley".  Thank goodness for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment