Monday, January 28, 2013

Sports Movies

I was going to write about band names ("Hollow Stairs", anyone?  No?  Dibs.), but something more important came to mind.

Sports movies.  They're the best.  Or they tie for the best with war movies.  Sports and war movies?  With Tom Hanks?  Why yes, I do love A League of Their Own, even if my dad does hate Geena Davis.  I still don't get that.  What's wrong with Geena Davis?  Besides the fact that she spells her name "Geena" instead of "Gina".  Especially in that movie, one would think Dad would take issue with Rosie O'Donald or Madonna.  Geena Davis.  Myself, I enjoy Beetlejuice

Sports movies.  There are so many, and with such great diversity.  I am convinced that sports movies are like beer.  If you tell me you don't like them (or "it", in the case of beer), then I will tell you you just haven't tried the right one.  Already I've named a classic that many people love, but others... well, it's not quite their taste.  There are a plethora of other baseball films that are phenomenal: The Natural, Field of Dreams, The Rookie, Rookie of the Year, Angels in the Outfield, Moneyball, The Sandlot, etc.  Baseball not your thing?  Okay, not everyone likes IPAs.  I get that.  Sort of.  Football?  Who doesn't love Remember the Titans?  That is not a rhetorical question.  Please, find me someone who doesn't love that movie.  I hate football, and I love that movie.  It has great music, is based on true events, stars Denzel Washington, and features a very young Ryan Gosling enjoying some awfully honky-tonk tunes.  And NO Geena Davis.  The list goes on.  Golf? The Legend of Bagger Vance.  Soccer?  Bend It Like Beckham.  Figure Skating?  The Cutting Edge.  Basketball?  Coach Carter (Okay, I haven't seen that one, and don't know if it's any good... uh... SPACE JAM!  Bam.)  Bobsledding?  Cool Runnings.  Horse diving?  Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken.  Something for everyone.  And lots for me.

Of course there is one category conspicuously missing.  The noble sport of the North.  I'm not speaking of dog sledding (Iron Will) or curling (Men with Brooms.  Didn't think I had one for curing, did you?)  But no.   I mean hockey.  A friend once asked my why chicks dig hockey more than guys.  It's probably because of the Mighty Ducks trilogy.  Best movies.  Best sport.  And if that wasn't enough, they went and made Miracle.  Why sully this topic with more words?

Sports movies.  Did you know the Netflix has a category for their "watch instantly" films with this title. Well, it's kind of sad and disappointing.  This bums me out enormously.  There is one though that has David Tennant in it, so that's a win, right?  And there is A League of Their Own.   

4 comments:

  1. I love that horse diving is considered a sport for this purpose. Also, the Mighty Ducks movies are pretty much the best, and I don't even understand hockey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to make the list complete - Chariots of Fire. I just loved it when the Greek Olympic Band nailed the U.S. National Anthem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, you left out the two greatest sports movies of all time... if your favorite sport is Scottish independence in the late 1290's, or the mystical events at the Cold Mountain penitentiary in 1935.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, what about those terrible golf movies with Rodney Dangerfield? Do those even count? Kate Hepburn was in a sports movie based on Babe D. Then there is the one with Kevin Costner and Renee Russo - Tin Cup.

    ReplyDelete